Thursday, January 7, 2010

Hot Cocoa

Experiment #4: Hot Cocoa

Ingredients:
  • 1 T Hershey's Cocoa Powder (unsweetened)
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 scoop stevia
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 cup 2% milk
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
  • 2 T Lowfat Redi Whip
I basically made this according to the directions on the side of the package, but changed the measurements to make one serving. I will spell it out here though in case I ever use a different brand.
  1. Put cocoa powder, salt, and stevia in a small saucepan (I filled the scoop slightly less than full and used the whole thing)
  2. Microwave the 1/4 cup of water to boiling (about a minute) and then whisk it into the dry mixture
  3. Bring to a boil then gently simmer for 2 minutes (mixture became nice and creamy like melted chocolate chips)
  4. Slowly whisk in the milk and heat up to near boiling (do not boil)
  5. Remove from heat and add vanilla
  6. Pour into a mug and squirt Red Whip on top
Nutrition Facts: 145 calories per cup, Total Fat 6.2g, Saturated Fat: 3.9g, Sodium 262mg, Total Carbs 14.8g, Dietary Fiber 1.8g, Protein 9.2g
Thoughts: This was delicious! I was happily surprised once again. I did not need to add more stevia. I would never have known this was not made with sugar or real sweetened chocolate.
Also the calorie savings is significant compared to the original recipe. Since I am using milk, this will never be a 0 calorie beverage; I will admit, however, that I am not going for 0 calorie foods with this project. I am trying to make snacks and drinks that are healthier, natural, and that I don't have to feel deprived when eating. I could try making this with more water and less milk to reduce calories, but it was so delicious that I might not.
One downside: this was time consuming. But I am finding out good, healthy, whole foods are generally more time consuming to prepare but are worth it.
Note to self: Try using this method to make the mocha coffee -- heating the cocoa before adding to the beverage is what makes it smooth and creamy I suppose. Live and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment